Kingswood Golf Club had its origins back in 1904 as the Dandenong Golf Club, leasing a number of properties in the Dandenong area. In June 1920, a General Meeting was held to discuss the prospect of establishing an 18 hole course, after which, John Hemmings indicated that his property could be leased. However in 1922, John Hemmings died at the age of 84, requiring the Club to negotiate with the executors of the estate. The Club offered to purchase the land at 45 pounds per acre, but the trustees wanted 60 pounds, so instead the lease continued.
In 1931, at a Special General Meeting, the Club changed its name from Dandenong to Kingswood because the Club had become known as Kingswood from the time it had moved onto the Hemmings property. As the Club membership was growing rapidly, the Gartsides raised the idea of shifting the Club from Dandenong to Dingley, and offered the land near their cannery for lease. This proposal was discussed by Committee, but it wasn’t until 1935 that the proposal was considered viable. Members voted at a Special General Meeting to grant authority to the Committee to proceed with arrangements to move. This gave Kingswood the security it had never experienced before.
The Club settled on its new home in 1937 on 120 acres of undulating market garden land, in what is now the world-renowned Sandbelt region. Leading golf course architects of the day M.A. & V. Morcom designed a golf course that was then the second longest course in Australia at 6,707 yards. A number of changes have taken place over the ensuing years with architectural “contributions” made by Thompson and Wolveridge, Grant and Spencer, Kevin Hartley, E & G Parslow, and most recently, four magnificent new holes designed by Tony Cashmore.
Pictured left: Kingswood clubhouse circa 1937.
Tin Shedders (History of Kingswood 1904-2004)